This chair arrived on the front door step of the store in a very very sorry state. A year and a bit later we finally set about tackling this project. After taking the fabric off and saving what we could to make a template/pattern to guide us in cutting out the new fabric, we chose a 90% wool Maharam Kvadrat, Hallingdal for it’s superior quality, texture, durability and most importantly, it’s ability to stretch to the shape of the curves in the chair.
The original foam also had to be scraped off as it was dry and crumbling and so we set about re-foaming the fiberglass shell.
Steel tacks were used to attach the front side of the fabric to the hard fiberglass shell.
The final step was to hand sew the back fabric which covers the whole back and underside of the chair onto the front.
The cushions were sewn by machine and snapped in place onto the chair using the
clasps attached to the fiberglass shell and incorporated into the fixed upholstery.
The finished product without an ottoman, looked absolutely stunning in this bold Kelly green.